Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Stump Jump Wine

d'Arenberg The Stump Jump
 
This bottle of wine was supplied by a friend of mine when we stopped at our local Uncork and Create for a little painting fun.  My first reaction was regarding the label and how strange looking the bold lettering stood out.  Most labels get extremely fancy in order to draw the wine lover in enough to sample what is hidden inside.  However, this label looked rather plain and I might not have given it a second glance if I found it among others while shopping for a new bottle.  The words are all blocked and get smaller as you go down the label.  Little did I know that this was the look the company was going for when making the label.  The humor it seems is that if you can hold the bottle out at arm’s length and you can still correctly read the letters on the bottom line then you can have another glass.  This to me was priceless and I find it a great conversation to have while sharing a glass with your friends.

After the bottle was opened and my glass was poured, I immediately fell in love with the color.  It has a reddish purple color with a hint of cherry and oak smells.  The taste is a mix of fruity with a hint of chocolate and a kick of pepper.  I'm a sucker for anything cholcolate.

With most wines, the names are somewhat confusing and weird to say for me and this one is no different.  I had to do some research into the name alone.  "Stump Jump" comes from the South Australian invention, the Stump Jump plough.  What is this, you ask (I know I did).  Think plow.  The plough was invented by Richard Bowyer Smith around the late 19th century to save time and energy riding over stumps and roots as he prepared his mallee lands for cultivation.  "Stump Jump" is used as a way to say thanks since the lands were around McLaren Vale (Australian).
 
As listed on the d'Arenberg website, this wine is made in the traditional way all their red wines are, by the use of fermenting in headed-down open fermenters prior to the use of basket-presses.  It is left to mature before bottling in barriques and other casks.    
 
I always love being introduced to a new bottle of wine and have added this one to my favorite list.

No comments:

Post a Comment